During the beautiful Whatcom County summers, finding ways to stay cool and comfortable is important, especially for those wanting to remain active while also working to prevent heat-related illnesses.
The plus side of all this sunshine is that spending time outdoors in the summer months gives Vitamin D levels a boost—that’s good for everyone living in the Pacific Northwest, regardless of their age!
Caregivers, family members or friends looking for things to do with senior citizens in Whatcom County can consider these activities, many of which will get everyone outside for a much-needed breath of fresh air.
- Scenic drive to Mount Baker
- Follow State Route 542 (Mt Baker Highway) eastward and enjoy the views of the mountain, the constant stream of towering evergreens and the Nooksack River. Stop at one of the roadside turnouts for a picnic or to take pictures. Upon arrival at the end of WA-542, consider taking a short walk–on a clear day, you can see the Cascades and even the Canadian Rockies. Make sure to check out the visitor center (Artist Point).
- Bellingham Bells game
- Support Bellingham’s local summer baseball team that is comprised of mostly college baseball players from around the USA. Their schedule is full of home game options through August—home games are held at Joe Martin Field off Lakeway Drive. The best part is that tickets are only $7.00 per person.
- Senior Day in the Park
- Check out “Senior Day in the Park” hosted by Meals on Wheels and More’s on Wednesday, August 10th at Hovander Homestead Park in Ferndale, WA from 10:00 am-2:00 pm. This annual community event brings Whatcom County senior citizens out for a day of fun in the sun. Come to the park for an affordable BBQ lunch, door prizes and music. If you go, make sure to stop by Take My Hand At-Home Care’s info booth to say “hello”!
- Lunch at Semiahmoo Resort
- Located about 30 minutes NW of Bellingham, Semiahmoo Resort is a hidden treasure in Whatcom County, it’s worthy of a scenic drive. There are several dining options at the resort—consider Packers Oyster Bar, Great Blue Heron Grill or the Seaview Breakfast Cafe. Semiahmoo is a great seaside experience. Make sure to watch for sea lions and a wide variety of coastal birds in the area.
- Escape the heat with a movie at The Pickford
- Going to the movies is always exciting. Plus, The Pickford is air conditioned and they have snacks! Check daily movie times here and settle in for a fabulous film.