For many years, nursing home care has been a lifeline to elderly men and women–it actually used to be one of the only options available when elders needed medical help and personal care assistance as they aged.
Today there are other alternatives, including assisted living communities and licensed caregivers that deliver services in the home of aging adults.
Explore the benefits of at-home caregiver services
There are many benefits to choosing in-home care for a senior versus moving to a nursing home or assisted living community. The cost savings alone can help make the decision.
Lifestyle can be another factor. Seniors receiving caregiver services in their home have increased feelings of independence—privacy and dignity are also important to those receiving at-home care.
According to aging experts at AARP, the rising cost of long-term care, coupled with an increasing array of options, can make it difficult for families to make important decisions on where to live during the aging process.
This calculator tool can assist with that process by estimating the cost of long-term care. The tool shares the typical costs for receiving long-term care in a nursing home, moving to an assisted living facility, participating in an adult day health program, and using a local caregiver service like Take My Hand At-Home Care in Lynden, WA.
Some wonder if hiring a caregiver service is really better then moving a loved one into a nursing home or assisted living community. Here are five important things to consider during the decision making process.
Five reasons to choose at-home care over nursing home living:
- Lifestyle: Friends and family can visit anytime (there are no set visiting hours). Seniors can get up and go to bed on their own schedule. They also appreciate personal choice and variety when it comes to meal preparation (eat what, when, where one likes).
- Personalization: Seniors can remain surrounded by personal items like favorite furniture pieces, family photos, jewelry pieces and collectables (items that may not be allowed in a nursing home).
- Privacy: Having a private bath, bedroom and living spaces is an important factor when seniors are choosing where to live as they age (many nursing home spaces are shared with others).
- Level of care: Hiring caregivers at home allows elders and their loved ones to choose how much care is needed—only paying for what is needed. There is the possibly of having less assistance in the beginning, then the flexibility of increasing services as needed.
- Location: Remaining in familiar spaces is comforting for many elders. They are surrounded by places, people and belongings that spark memories.
When a loved one needs long or short-term help with their daily living needs, you may find that home is the most comfortable and convenient place for them to receive care. Take My Hand At-Home Care is a locally owned and operated eldercare provider serving the needs of Whatcom County seniors. Contact us today for a complimentary consultation. We’ll use the time to assess the needs of your loved one, review their home for any safety concerns and help identify caregiver funding sources like Veterans benefits, Medicare, Medicaid and long term care insurance.